a proposal for Samba 3.5

Green, Paul Paul.Green at stratus.com
Sat Apr 3 13:18:09 GMT 2004

Andrew Bartlett [mailto:abartlet at samba.org] wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 04:54, Michael Sweet wrote:
> > I would argue strongly against providing a scripted replacement,
> > as few commercial platforms come with a recent version of Perl or
> > any version of Python.  A C-based tool shouldn't be that much
> > harder to write and would be as portable as Samba itself.
>
> Is it really that hard to install python or
> perl, for a developer?

It all depends on the underlying OS.  Clearly this is not all that hard on a
Linux or Unix system.  But Samba is pretty good about sticking to facilities
that are documented in POSIX, and probing for the existence of non-POSIX
pieces and making their use optional.  As a result Samba can run on a wide
variety of operating systems.  Perl has also been ported to many operating
systems.  I'm not familiar with how many OSes can handle Python.  My vote
would be for perl over Python, because I've already ported it to VOS.  But
if people really prefer Python, well, I'd sharpen up the porting pencil and
get to work.

Thanks
PG
--