a proposal for Samba 3.5

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Apr 1 18:54:58 GMT 2004

tridge at samba.org wrote:
 > It should be relatively easy to replace most uses of RPC in Samba3.5
 > with the Samba4 RPC library, except perhaps for the rpcclient tool. I
 > would suggest removing the rpcclient tool in Samba3.5, and instead
 > work towards writing a new tool with equivalent functionality
 > (possibly even basing the new tool on Tim's python or perl interfaces
 > to the library).

I would argue strongly against providing a scripted replacement,
as few commercial platforms come with a recent version of Perl or
any version of Python.  A C-based tool shouldn't be that much
harder to write and would be as portable as Samba itself.

Also, rpcclient is used by CUPS (among other projects) to install
printer drivers for Windows clients; this is very big deal and
if rpcclient disappears then we will have to come up with an
alternate means of doing this that will also work with Samba
3.0 and earlier.