a proposal for Samba 3.5

Ignacio Coupeau icoupeau at unav.es
Thu Apr 1 08:09:59 GMT 2004

> A proposal for Samba 3.5
> ------------------------
>
> The Samba4 effort has been going for about 1 year now, and has made
> very good progress, but so far has gained very little interest from
> other than a few core developers. In fact, nearly all of the work on
> Samba4 has been done by just a couple of people. I believe there are a
> variety of reasons for this, but the core reason is that Samba4 is
> seen as "too far off", and many Samba developers need more immediate
> results.

from an old and great user (for the size, of course) point of view, in
some places are migrating form 2.x to 3.x, so, IMHO, the Samba4 likes as
"too far" and a perhaps "too much speed change", so 3.5 sounds better
path for great installations engaged in some migration (Windows-->
SambaX or Samba 2.x--> Samba 3.x).

Ignacio

Ignacio Coupeau, Ph.D.     icoupeau at unav.es
CTI, Director              icoupeau at alumni.unav.es