a proposal for Samba 3.5

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at diament.ists.pwr.wroc.pl
Thu Apr 1 00:48:28 GMT 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:29:21AM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:

> A proposal for Samba 3.5
> ------------------------
>
> The Samba4 effort has been going for about 1 year now, and has made
> very good progress, but so far has gained very little interest from
> other than a few core developers. In fact, nearly all of the work on
> Samba4 has been done by just a couple of people. I believe there are a
> variety of reasons for this, but the core reason is that Samba4 is
> seen as "too far off", and many Samba developers need more immediate
> results.
>
> To address this problem I would like to propose that we start a
> Samba-3.5 effort, which will aim to integrate the parts of the Samba4
> codebase into the Samba3 tree. The parts that I propose integrating
> are those that are both already reasonably complete and are easily
> separable.

Very resonable idea, I think. It might get samba4 closer from "out
of range" area...

> In particular propose integrating the following parts of Samba4 into
> Samba3, to form the basis of Samba 3.5.
>
>    - the SMB client library
>    - the RPC client library and client side IDL code generation
>    - the ldb database

would be great to hear more details on that topic...

>    - the smbclient code
>    - the smbtorture test suite

... and I'd like to hear thorough instruction on how to add tests to the
torture suite. My request applies both to pure smb tests and rpc as
well.

>    - the schannel code
>    - some of the directory restructuring, but not all

Well, I'm looking forward to see you soon ! :)

--
cheers,

 Rafal Szczesniak      **mir[at]diament.ists.pwr.wroc.pl
 Samba Team member     mi***[at]samba.org