samba-3.0.0 -- some comments + patch

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Sep 29 13:59:16 GMT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 11:31, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> > BW: What is the reason for that `touch'? I think when configuring outside
> > the source tree, configure should NOT modify the source tree (not even
> > timestamps)!!
> The touch is there to make sure the C files are recompiled if some of
> the defines they use change.

I see.

I think there ought to be a better way to achieve that.

Consider the following scenario:

1. unpack the source tree
2. configure and build for system A in a build tree A
3. configure and build for system B in a build tree B
4. do again a 'make all' in build tree A
	due to the touch during 3. quite a few things will then be rebuilt.

A "canonical" method to achieve such things is to use some "stamp" files
as auxiliary targets in the build tree.

regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>