The first stable release of Samba 3.0 is available
Gerald (Jerry) Carter
jerry at samba.org
Thu Sep 25 05:03:20 GMT 2003
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
[ and there was great rejoicing among the masses! And a
tiny voice squeeked, "See, I told you they would get
it out before the Linux 2.6 kernel" ]
The Samba Team is proud to announce the availability of the
first official release of the Samba 3.0 code base.
Major new features:
1) Active Directory support. Samba 3.0 is now able to
join a ADS realm as a member server and authenticate
users using LDAP/Kerberos.
2) Unicode support. Samba will now negotiate UNICODE on the wire
and internally there is now a much better infrastructure for
multi-byte and UNICODE character sets.
3) New authentication system. The internal authentication system
has been almost completely rewritten. Most of the changes are
internal, but the new auth system is also very configurable.
4) New default filename mangling system.
5) A new "net" command has been added. It is somewhat similar to
the "net" command in windows. Eventually we plan to replace
numerous other utilities (such as smbpasswd) with subcommands
6) Samba now negotiates NT-style status32 codes on the wire. This
improves error handling a lot.
7) Better Windows 2000/XP/2003 printing support including publishing
printer attributes in active directory.
8) New loadable module support for passdb backends and character
9) New default dual-daemon winbindd support for better performance.
10) Support for migrating from a Windows NT 4.0 domain to a Samba
domain and maintaining user, group and domain SIDs.
11) Support for establishing trust relationships with Windows NT 4.0
12) Initial support for a distributed Winbind architecture using
an LDAP directory for storing SID to uid/gid mappings.
13) Major updates to the Samba documentation tree.
14) Full support for client and server SMB signing to ensure
compatibility with default Windows 2003 security settings.
15) Improvement of ACL mapping features based on code donated by
The source code can be downloaded from :
The uncompressed tarball and patch file have been signed
using GnuPG. The Samba public key is available at
Binary packages are available at
A simplified version of the CVS log of updates since 3.0.0rc4
can be found in the the download directory under the name
ChangeLog-3.0.0rc4-3.0.0. The release notes are available
Please file any bugs you find in this release at
As always, all bugs are our responsibility.
The Samba Team
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the samba-technical