Samba 3 PDC + LDAP + winbind, how many problems are there ?

gary ng garyng2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 07:58:34 GMT 2003

I keep on encountering problems one after another
using this combination.

When I do a 'wbinfo -u', I got the following :

woody:/var/log/samba# wbinfo -u
root
testing
hello
hahaha

When I do a 'wbinfo -g', I got the following :
woody:/var/log/samba# wbinfo -g
Error looking up domain groups

going over to the samba log, I saw this :

[2003/09/24 15:43:22, 2]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:init_group_from_ldap(2164)
  Entry found for group: 100
[2003/09/24 15:43:22, 2]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:init_group_from_ldap(2164)
  Entry found for group: 65534
[2003/09/24 15:43:22, 0]
lib/smbldap.c:smbldap_open(757)
  smbldap_open: cannot access LDAP when not root..
[2003/09/24 15:43:22, 1]
lib/smbldap.c:smbldap_retry_open(846)
  Connection to LDAP Server failed for the 1 try!
[2003/09/24 15:43:22, 0]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_setsamgrent(2551)
  LDAP search failed: Insufficient access
[2003/09/24 15:43:22, 0]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_enum_group_mapping(2617)
  Unable to open passdb

even though I have no problem adding users using
smbpasswd, pdbedit. and I can do

#net group
Domain Admins
Domain Users
Domain Guests

So what makes winbind so special ? I have filed
another bug report that winbindd just panic and died
when libnss_winbind is called with certain value.