Samba 3 and LDAP support, semi-broken ?

Ignacio Coupeau icoupeau at unav.es
Tue Sep 23 11:11:25 GMT 2003

gary ng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am testing Samba 3.0(PDC) with LDAP as the passwd
> backend.
However, it seems that the smbpass.c code
> doesn't honour the nsswitch.conf parameter(at least
> under linux)
 >
> The password authentication of samba goes alright but
> not the unix part which is supposed to find a local
> unix uid/gid combination. Here my finding is that if I
> add the user to the local passwd/groups files, samba
> works as expected. However, if I also stored them on
> ldap server, samba fails to find it.

Runs very fine well for us (7 pdc and 29.000 accounts) in the all samba3
(and before).
Sounds me as the compilation don't gets the correct libs/modules.

run:
autogen.sh
./configure --with-ldapsam

and check in the configure output:
checking for LDAP support... auto
checking ldap.h usability... yes
checking ldap.h presence... yes
checking for ldap.h... yes
checking lber.h usability... yes
checking lber.h presence... yes
checking for lber.h... yes
checking for ber_scanf in -llber... yes
checking for ldap_init in -lldap... yes
checking for ldap_domain2hostlist... yes
checking for ldap_set_rebind_proc... yes
checking whether ldap_set_rebind_proc takes 3 arguments... 2
checking for ldap_initialize... yes
checking whether LDAP support is used... yes
checking how to build pdb_ldap... static

also, please, check:

bin/smbpasswd -a <user_account> -D 256

The <user_account> must be present in the ldap as posixAccount OR you
need provide a passwd struct data via /etc/passwd.

Ignacio

Ignacio Coupeau, Ph.D.     icoupeau at unav.es
CTI, Director              icoupeau at alumni.unav.es
University of Navarra      icoupeau at ieee.org