Weird message in syslog when starting up SMBD and NMBD

chiayl at wsgbp004.sgp.agilent.com chiayl at wsgbp004.sgp.agilent.com
Mon Sep 22 02:18:33 GMT 2003

Hi John,

	From the man page of inetd,
           service/protocol: Unknown service

                The call to the library routine getservbyname (see
                getservent(3N)) failed.  The service is not listed in
                /etc/services.

                Next step: Include that service in /etc/services or
                eliminate the entry for the service in /etc/inetd.conf.

	You need to add the following to /etc/services:
netbios_ssn  139/tcp                 # NetBIOS Session Service
netbios_ns   137/udp                 #

	Do check if you need smbd/nmbd to run under inetd. I ran smbd and nmbd in daemon mode so a entry is not required under /etc/inetd.conf.

	Hope this helps. :)

Regards,
YewLee