Samba 3.0 question: multithreading

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Sun Sep 21 09:38:34 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 09:05, Damir Dezeljin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Samba 2.x architecture design was that one thread is spawned for each
> machine accessing Samba server. This produce an Windows Explorer freeze if
> the mentioned thread for some reason get blocked.

Do you use w2k Terminal Servers ?

> I checked the Samba 3.x docs, but I didn't find any info if this was
> changed in Samba 3.x. Is Samba 3.x stil using a single thread for each
> client or does it spawn a new thread for each access like WinNT?
>
> If yes (Samba stil use single thread per machine) is it planed to change
> this in future and if yes, when?

Samba use a task for each single connection.
Samba doesn't use a threading model because of constraints on multiple
architectures we support.

Samba 4 is being made up so that to permit a multi-thread architecture
on the platforms that permit that.

But Samba 4 is a very very long way to go before you have anything
really usable in production.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399