[Samba] Windows XP big Problems

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Sep 17 23:02:36 GMT 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 sascha.bieler at radiogong.de wrote:

> I really don't know what to do.
>
> As I said, I have installed samba 3.0.0 rc 4 and since that my windows XP Prof.
> boxes don't like to log on correctly.
>
> If i got security = user, as is correctly for an PDC, the Windows XP Prof. boxes
> don't like to log on, because they don't find the sharenames.
>
> If i got security = domain or server or ads it works.
>
> Really think this is a bug.
>
> Hope somebody out there will help me, I am near to go completly mad.

I am not sure how to advise you here. What you are saying is that all the
HOWTO document information is wrong _or_ you have found a bug in Samba.

Well, any or all of that could be true.

I guess that by now you have carefully followed the information in the
Samba-HOWTO-Collection chapters on "Domain Control" and on "Domain
Membership." And if you follwo the instructions and information there, it
does not work.

I understand you to say that if you go against the information there, then
you can log onto Windows XP Professional.

All I can say is, this is totally perplexing!

What I would like to see is a detailed step-by-step list of EXACTLY
everything you have done to help me to reproduce your problem.

Please email this to me off-list. I'll try to help you, because my
conscience can not bear knowning that otherwise you might go mad. :)

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org