sam replication

José Luis Tallón jltallon at adv-solutions.net
Wed Sep 17 12:38:13 GMT 2003

( Sorry, pressed "send-now" keyboard shortcut in accident )

At 10:13 17/09/2003 +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
>On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 18:36, Richard Renard wrote:
> > Is it possible to have the name of the people who work on the
> > replication process ?
> >
> > So we could share things we know about.
>
>I'm working on a new users and groups backend to support a full sam,
>this is fundamental to have a decent samba PDC + NT BDC, no to so for a
>NT PDC + samba BDC.

While you are at it ( i guess ldapsam is already capable of most if not all
functionality required ), please include a means for specifying [different]
base RIDs for users and machines.

The situation leading to this is as follows:
- configured ldapsam, enable rid algorith, idmap account range = 10000-20000
- created initial users in directory, posixAccount
- joined machines to the domain, NUA operation

now, if we want to add new users, we are in the situation that the RIDs
they would be assigned are already being used by machines. Therefore, i
propose separating the RID ranges for machines and users ( though it is
different from what Win does )

All comments/suggestions/etc appreciated

TIA

Best,
         J.L.