smbpasswd backend used by default ?

Aurélien Degrémont adegremont at idealx.com
Mon Sep 15 16:15:16 GMT 2003

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:15:01AM +0200, Aurélien Degrémont wrote:
>
>>Backward compatibilty is good, and Samba 3 perfectly supports smbpasswd
>>backend, but use new features is better, particularly in this case.
>

> Even if you started with smbpasswd, switching is very easy:
>
> pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam
>
> Volker

I know it's easy switching from smbpasswd to tdbsam.
And it's very easy to configure smbpasswd backend when updating to Samba
3.0.0, one line into smb.conf, and, possibly, one command to convert the
backend.

Whereas, all new fresh installations of Samba 3 will use smbpasswd by
default, with no possibilities to use Windows 200X/NT accounts with this
backend.
Is Samba 3 really done for this ?

I'm just making comments.
The question is : "Do you prefer compatibility or better features ?"
It seems that this question is not totally clear inside the Samba team,
and i think, that, for this case, new features are more important. In my
opinion, Samba 3 must, by default, be able to manage W2k accounts.

Best regards,

Aurélien Degrémont