smbpasswd backend used by default ?

Aurélien Degrémont adegremont at idealx.com
Mon Sep 15 09:28:24 GMT 2003

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 06:16:45PM +0200, Aurélien Degrémont wrote:
>
>>I wonder why you still use smbpasswd backend by default in Samba 3.0.0 ?
>>This backend is obsolete and does not store any account informations of
>>the MS Windows NT/200x SAM ?
>>tdbsam is a very good solution for standard backend and, i think, must
>>be used by default in the branch 3.0.0 ?
>>
>>Why not ?
>

> Less pain when upgrading.
>
> Volker

Less pain when upgrading, yes, but much more when installing.
Everybody who install a new fresh version of Samba 3 will use, by
default, this old fashionned backend.

I think, it will be better if people who upgrade have just to add the
line "passwd backend = smbpasswd" in their smb.conf for their
compatibility, and people who install use automatically the new backend
tdbsam.

Backward compatibilty is good, and Samba 3 perfectly supports smbpasswd
backend, but use new features is better, particularly in this case.

Aurélien Degrémont