12, not 8 char limit in testparm?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Sep 15 05:48:18 GMT 2003

We have, in testparm, a test that looks something like the following:

if (strlen(lp_servicename(s)) > 8) {
  printf("WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 8 chars\n");
  printf("These may give errors while browsing or may not be accessible\nto some older clients\n");
  break;
  }

(I fiddled the formatting because it fit badly in an 80-column message.)

Anyway, I think it should be 12, not 8 characters.  We know that the
NetShareEnum() RAP call has a limit of 12 characters per share name.  Names
longer than 12 characters (ASCII) are not returned by that call.  RPC-capable
clients will send the NetrShareEnum() RPC call (note the extra 'r' in there)
to retrieve share names longer than 12 characters.

Thoughts?

It's an easy change if folks think it should be corrected.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org