New Defaults [WAS: Re: smbpasswd backend used by default ?]

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Sun Sep 14 11:40:48 GMT 2003

We have many of these constraints due to "compatibility defaults".
While this keep our old users happy, it makes it increasily difficult to
configure samba correctly for our new users.

Is it too late to propose a new option: conf version = <number> ?

by default it is version 2.2 compatibility, but we can provide a set of
sample smb.conf files with this option set to:
"conf version = 3"

This way we will have sane defaults for version 3 and above.

The sample config file coule provide default configuration for PDCs,
domain members, standalone servers, and user=share servers.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399