Setting up Samba with winbindd, PAM and nsswitch (on Freebsd)

Thron Havens thavens at minkagroup.net
Fri Sep 12 23:21:42 GMT 2003

Hi,

I installed Samba 2.2.8a on a FreeBSD 5.1 box and I get an error when I run
wbinfo -a domain\\user%password

plaintext password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)
Could not authenticate user domain\user%passwd with plaintext password
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)
Could not authenticate user domain\user%passwd with challenge/response

But when I run wbinfo -a user%password it would say

Challenge/response password authenticated succeeded

My smb.conf file:

workgroup = domain
netbios name = proxy01
server string = proxy
security = domain
log file = /var/log/sambalog.%m
encrypt passwords = yes
local master = no
os level = 33
domain master = no
preferred master = no
wins support = no
wins server = x.x.x.x
wins proxy = no
dns proxy = no
log level = 3
max log size = 100000000
load printers = no

winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind separator = .
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind use default domain = yes
template shell = /bin/false
password server = *
name resolve order = hosts lmhosts wins bcast
nt acl support = yes

[share]
comment = temporary file space
path = /usr/proxy
browsable = yes
read only = no
public = yes
printable = no
writeable = yes

my pam.conf:

auth		required	pam_nologin.so		no_warn
auth		sufficient	pam_winbind.so
auth		sufficient	pam_opie.so		no_warn
no_fake_prompts
auth		requisite	pam_opieaccess.so	no_warn allow_local
#auth		sufficient	pam_krb5.so		no_warn
try_first_pass
#auth		sufficient	pam_ssh.so		no_warn
try_first_pass
auth		required	pam_unix.so		no_warn
try_first_pass

# account
#account 	required	pam_krb5.so
account		sufficient	pam_winbind.so
account		required	pam_unix.so

# session
#session 	optional	pam_ssh.so
session		required	pam_permit.so

# password
password	required	pam_permit.so

Has anyone seen this problem or know a workaround?

Thanks
Thron