Posix/Samba: the accounts managements

Aurélien Degrémont adegremont at idealx.com
Fri Oct 31 17:03:02 GMT 2003

Simo Sorce wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 17:27, Aurélien Degrémont wrote:
>

>>So, i think it will be a good thing to change this behaviour, inverting
>>the modifications and putting the Samba modifications before the unix
>>modifications. This will correct problems with the external script calls
>>that often appeared during Samba installations.
>>
>>Waiting for your comments...
>>

>As an abstract discussion I would say you are right
>We also discussed to make samba able to create/remove the posix account
>internally without requiring auxiliary scripts, while the creation would
>be more problematic (too many options would be required probably)
>removal is certainly possible.

I didn't say that Samba must manage the creation/deletion of posix
accounts and I totally disagree with it. Samba runs on too many various
systems that it should not handle by itself the Posix accounts . The
differences between "unixes" and "linuxes" are way too numerous. The
using of external scripts is a good idea if Samba clearly explains it
and handles it. I think Samba must manage the Samba Accounts and call
the scripts to handle the posix accounts but this must be well done.

>Any way you can simply remove completely the object from the script and
>let samba choke about unexisting samSambaAccount :-)

This it one reason why I work on this problem.  Users who use Samba
didn't like at all that the client program complains about an error that
do not exist !

>not elegant but should work.

I'm not looking for some kind of tricks but a true solution :)

Aurélien