What is different point between smbd/server.c and wrepid/server.c

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 29 05:43:37 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 16:27, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> Tae-ho Kim wrote:
> >
> > Hi! gurus!
> > Would you explain the differrence between smbd/server.c and wrepid/server.c?
> > Why did you make different type of server.c
> > Would you?
>
> wrepld is the experimental WINS replication daemon.  Nothing to do with smb
> services.  The name is the same, but the code is completely different.

That didn't stop Samba-TNG from using the same file for both.  It makes
rather an interesting approach - one that you need if you want one
deamon per-pipe...

They have a single server.c, which makes a single server.o - and it's
all the other files that are linked in that determines the behaviour of
the final product.  It's interesting, but for samba's 4 or so, almost
all compleatly different servers, it doesn't make nearly as much sense.

What would make more sense is cleaning up our client code to use more
common functions, arguments etc :-)

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net