Samba 3.0 + openldap + exop passwd change

Andrew Bird (Sphere Systems) ajb at sphere-systems.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 21:29:07 GMT 2003

Hi there
	I'm just getting to grips with replacing NIS/smbpasswd  with LDAP for single
storage of user accounts. I'm looking into the passwd changing mechanism for
both Windows and UNIX clients. Whilst you seem to have the Windows clients
covered completely, userPassword/sambaNTpassword/sambaLMpassword all being
populated fully from a windows client change. I can't currently see a way of
populating these fields from UNIX. I want to use the pam_ldap module from
PADL with the extended password operation passing up the plaintext password
to the openldap server. But I think the server side only sets the
userPassword attribute with the encrypted value (of servers choice). I read
somewhere on the web that openldap has a plugin structure. Do you think it
would be possible to write such a plugin to populate all three fields that
could be executed by the exop passwd change mechanism?

Thanks

Andrew Bird