tdb_lock failed (was Re: ... domain authentication?)

Eric Boehm boehm at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Oct 28 12:31:45 GMT 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:42:35PM +0000, Jeremy Allison wrote:

    Brandon> This is happening in two different labs under both
    Brandon> Solaris 2.7 and 2.8 and renders samba-3 essentially
    Brandon> unusable.  In one lab we have compiled Samba with tdb
    Brandon> spin locks instead, which solves the problem, but (if I
    Brandon> understand the relevant warnings correctly) makes us
    Brandon> vulnerable to an unusable secrets file if a thread dies
    Brandon> while having the file locked.

    Brandon> The /usr/local hierarchy is locally mounted on both
    Brandon> systems.

    Brandon> Has anyone else ever seen this?  Meanwhile I suppose I
    Brandon> shall try having to determine who is holding the problem
    Brandon> locks.  The lsof command shows every samba child process
    Brandon> (but not the parent) having a read lock on the secrets
    Brandon> file, but does not give details as to where in the file
    Brandon> they are.

    Jeremy> Ok, do you have the Sun patch for the "thundering herd"
    Jeremy> problem with fcntl locks ? This is common on Solaris
    Jeremy> systems, they have a problem with wakeup of many threads
    Jeremy> waiting on an fcntl lock.

    Jeremy> There are references to the patch ID in the Samba mail
    Jeremy> archives (on Samba-technical I think).

We're are seeing this problem with Samba 2.2.8a on Solaris 8 *WITH*
the patch to fix fcntl (108528-19 or later). We've also seen it with
2.2.8a and Solaris 8 with a later patch (108528-22). Perhaps the
Solaris patch doesn't fix the problem? Is there a way to verify this?

We see the following in the samba logs

[2003/10/27 16:59:12, 0, pid=29132] tdb/tdbutil.c:(531)
  tdb(/usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb): tdb_lock failed on list 23 ltype=2 (Interrupted system call)

Should I submit a bug for this?

--
Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
boehm at nortelnetworks.com       \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail