samba 3.0 / idmap in ADS ?

Leandro Ariel Gomez Chavarria lgomez at cencosud.com.ar
Mon Oct 27 22:19:52 GMT 2003

Hi all, maybe someone (please !) can help me.

I'm implementing a 2 node cluster (HA) to give File Server Service for
W2k clients using samba in RedHat 9.0, and as you know, samba use
winbind in order to map Uid -> Sid. This information is originally
stored in winbind_idmap.tdb, and here my problem, local uid/gid are
assigned on the fly, so the idmap database are different on both nodes.
In case of a switch I have problems with the files owners.

Now, with samba 3, I can solve this problem (or at least it looks like)
storing this database in ldap, but here in my company we're using
Microsoft ADS and I'd like to put it in there. I search trough the net
and I found xad_oss_plugins from PADL Software, I have been trying to
compile the library idmap_ad.c (ad.o), and I had some problems to
succeed
1st Q:
gcc -v -I/usr/include/linux -I./samba-3.0.0/source/ubiqx \
        -I./samba-3.0.0/source/popt -I./samba-3.0.0/source/smbwrapper
\
        -I./samba-3.0.0/source -I./samba-3.0.0/source/include \
        -Wall -g -shared -o ad.so
./xad_oss_plugins-22/idmap_ad/idmap_ad.c

In file included from /usr/include/sys/types.h:133,
                 from samba-3.0.0/source/include/includes.h:86,
                 from xad_oss_plugins-22/idmap_ad/idmap_ad.c:12:
/usr/include/linux/time.h:10: parse error before "time_t"
/usr/include/linux/time.h:12: parse error before '}' token
/usr/include/linux/time.h:18: parse error before "time_t"
/usr/include/linux/time.h:44: field `it_interval' has incomplete type
/usr/include/linux/time.h:45: field `it_value' has incomplete type
/usr/include/linux/time.h:46: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

maybe someone can give me a clue about that, I'm lost.

2nd Q: I'd like to know if I need to do something else although
implementing these library and changing my smb.conf to use: idmap
backend = ad:ldap://myadserver/ ;
I mean something like change a structure in the ADS, install something
else or whatever.

I know I can use open ldap, but I want use what I have.
I succed in many things concerning this cluster, and now I'm stuck with
that, any clue will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Leandro