dyn netbios/ip map (right one)

michelegonella at libero.it michelegonella at libero.it
Sat Oct 25 21:53:19 GMT 2003

Sorry for my previous dump post ;-)
Thanks Chris,
my problem is having an updated map of ip addresses of each host within the LAN
because linux kernel ip stuff(iptables, ip command) deal with ip addresses
 whereas  in dhcp based networks host/ip binding has to be considered dynamic.
Thus identifying hosts by their netbios name is the best way of profiling the
access to net resources (allowed ports, traffic bandwidth etc.).
The environment must be as generic as possible; I played a little with nmblookup
which works perfectly in a wild all broadcast network, and maybe also in
a more complex subnetted wins served environment except for the traffic you
generate depending on how often you poll clients, at the moment I  do one broadcast
to know the addresses and one unicast for each host to know the name.
Nmbd came to my mind when I saw the log file and had a look at the source code,
because I noticed that broadcast name requests are mapped in nmbd memory.
So I thought that the job of knowing all clients addresses was already accomplished
by nmbd and that there was no need of flooding the LAN with query/answers packets
because I could have the netbios/ip pairs readily on my host just by running
nmbd (my
best compliments to developers for how the code is clear and well commented).
I did some tests using nmbd as wins server, and used the wins hook capability,
but some
problems arose;  samba wins can't get browse lists from MS wins servers (I
didn't test it
but I read it in the O'Really book) so using a client is the only solution for
subnetted nets and
also wins hook doesn't work with  broadcasts; also wins.dat gives infos just
about the clients
who use nmbd as their own wins server.
That's why I'm stuck at the moment; my guess is that in nmbd's memory there is
an updated
map of all clients in all subnets whichever MS-hybrid  name resolution method
they use.
But  I am not sure about that and also I think samba developers have faced the
problem of
this passive/active discovery so many times....
If necessary I I can think of patching nmbd to dump the cliets map but it can be
hard and
maybe there is just asigle hacking point to get the best result.

thanks again(also for the link which is great)

michele