dyn netbios/ip map

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Oct 25 16:26:31 GMT 2003

"michelegonella at libero.it" wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to write a daemon app to be run on a internet gateway
> in order to set/unset iptables and traffic shaping rules based
> on netbios names; after reading documentation and browsing
> the the samba source code I am thinking of running just nmbd
> on the gateway and from it to gather the informations needed.
> The service should be designed to work in "almost any" windows
> network architecture with mixed workgroups/domains and the
> internal LAN could be subnetted.
> What I want to ask is the easiest way of gathering a list of
> netbios/ip_addr pairs relative to all the machines within the LAN
> once smb.conf is set up correctly to map all the Domain Controllers
> and Wins servers, plus of course what comes from broadcast registrations.
> Actually I think I need something to poll with a settable refresh time.
> Any ideas ?
> Will it be in any cases unreliable ?
> If possible I wouldn't try to patch nmbd, because I want to update it
> as soon as new releases are coming.
>
> thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

I am not at all clear on what you are trying to accomplish here.  You don't
explain why the gateway needs to know about NBT name registrations, or how
the gateway will use that information (other than to say that you'll be
updating iptables).

At a guess, I don't think that running nmbd will solve your problem unless
you use nmbd as the WINS server for the network behind your gateway.  If
nmbd is the WINS server, then you can look at the wins.dat file to see what
names have been registered.  Otherwise, collecting such a list will be
difficult.

Read:  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/NetBIOS.html

Lots of information on how NBT really works.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org