Foreign Principal Mapping

Benjamin Bennett ben at phys.psu.edu
Thu Oct 23 22:01:10 GMT 2003

Hi Eric,
   Shortly after setting foreign to true in source/smbd/sesssetup.c
there is the following:
	pw = Get_Pwnam(user);
         if (!pw && !foreign) {
                 pw = Get_Pwnam(client);
                 SAFE_FREE(user);
                 user = smb_xstrdup(client);
         }

    So in your case what is happening is this:
     A) UREL\user lookup doesn't succeed.
     B) foreign is false so realm is disregarded and there's a lookup of
user.

    The client already has the service tkt from the dc before this is
happening (that's where the username is coming from). So basically, by
forcing foreign to be false, you're just ignoring the realm of the user
principal and a lookup for an identical local username is done.

    The difference between your method and mine is that with yours,
joe at ANYWHERE will always be considered joe at NTDOM as long as they have a
valid service tkt. No lookup of altSecurityIdentities is done here,
except for the PAC data in the service tkt.
    With my method, a search is done in AD for a matching
altSecurityIdentities. If there is a match, it will change the original
user principal to the matching user's userPrincipal, and set foreign to
false (since it is now a local domain account). If there is not a match,
things keep going as normal. This allows the usernames to differ between
realms, and also respects the original realm while looking up that
mapping (so it must be user at UREL instead of user at ANYWHERE).

--ben