how to discover all netbios scopes on a LAN?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Oct 22 21:40:57 GMT 2003

J.F. is the expert on this subject...

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:22:29PM +0200, Jean Francois Micouleau wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>
> > I imagine that there are some RPC calls that could be made to query the
> > WINS database directly, but that would mean finding the docs and writing
> > programs to make RPC calls.
>
> yes there is a rpc wins administration pipe. It was so much awful to
> decode that I gave up quickly and knowing that only 2 persons would try it
> in the world didn't motivate me at all.

To make use of it, someone would have to write the tools to use it.  Few
people are willing to spend time braving the wilds of RPC decoding.  :)

> > The WINS replication protocol was reversed.  It's not too bad, I'm told.
> > There was an effort made to write a replication daemon.  Unfortunately,
> > only the first testing-only drafts of the daemon (wrepld) were produced.
> > The secrets are hidden in there.  There is also some information on
> > Microsoft's website(s).
>
> The WINS replication protocol is uncomplete in wrepld. wrepld is missing a
> group packet type replication.

...but J.F.'s code is probably the closest thing to actual protocol
documentation that we've got.  My fault for not pushing myself to beg
answers when I had the chance.  Some day, J.F.  :)

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org