how to discover all netbios scopes on a LAN?

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Wed Oct 22 20:39:03 GMT 2003

Me> How can my app discover all the netbios scopes in use on the LAN?

Chris> Ya can't.
Chris> Well... there's always a fudge.
Chris> One way is to sniff traffic, but that's a pain and it only
Chris> collects information from the local LAN.
Chris> Another way is to ask the WINS server itself.  I have no idea
Chris> how to do this on a Windows WINS server,

Footnote 21 of http://ubiqx.org/cifs/NetBIOS.html#foot23 says that the
MS WINS replication protocol is fairly straight-forward and has been
untangled.  Maybe if my WINS server is a MS server, I could prompt it
to send me its database, then parse the reply for ScopeIDs?

Dave