Migrating from Samba 2.2.8A PDC -> Samba 3.0 PDC

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Oct 22 04:04:48 GMT 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, ODC wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run a Samba 2.2.8a PDC, and I had thought that Samba 3.0 would be a
> seamless drop-in upgrade for my system.  Apparantly it isn't.

What conclusions did you draw from chapter 30 of the
Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf? What guidance were you looking for that is not
provided?

> What is the proper way to migrate to the new software ?  There is no
> documentation talking about this.

Please help me to understand what information and migration information
you need. I am keen to update the documentation so that answers you need
just jump off the page, but I need your input to solve my problem, which
is that I do not read minds too well. :)

You can obtain an updated version of the HOWTO from:

	http://samba.org/~jht/HOWTO/

> Thank you.
>
> [global]
>
>      netbios name = fairchild
>      workgroup = donut-ring.net
>      server string = "Primary Domain Controller and Fileserver"
>
>      os level = 65

OS Level = 32 is sufficient. MS Windows NT/2K Server runs at 32.

>      domain logons = yes
>      preferred master = yes
>      domain master = yes
>      local master = yes
>
>      security = domain

This says that the samba server is a Domain Member, NOT a PDC!

See chapter 5 of the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf, in particular Section 5.3
and Example 5.3.1.

>      #domain admin group = @users
>
>      null passwords = yes
>      encrypt passwords = yes
>      unix password sync = yes
>      passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>      passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
> *successfully*
>
>      name resolve order = host
>      smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smb.passwd
>      username map = /etc/samba/smb.users
>
>      syslog = 1
>      syslog only = yes
>      log level = 5
>
>      time server = true
>
>      load printers = no
>
>      create mask = 0600
>      directory mask = 0700
>      force create mode = 0600
>      force directory mode = 0700

There is no need to specify the above 4 parameters in a global share.
You might need them in a share section, but not here.

>      logon drive = H:
>      #logon path = \\%L\profiles
>      logon home = \\%L\%U
>      logon script = scripts\logon.bat
>
>      add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g smb-mach -s
> /bin/false -M %u

For Samba-3 you also need the following:

      add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null %u

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra