Transparent failover for samba/cups print server

Rizzo, John john.rizzo at hcmny.com
Tue Oct 21 19:31:35 GMT 2003

Hi guys.  I'm wondering if it is possible to setup a set of samba
servers such that when the primary print server fails I can perform some
set of steps to have the print server on another samba server.  These
print servers also need to respond to queries directed at their host
name.  For example I have server1 and server2 both running samba 3.0 and
cups 1.1.19.  I can connect to the printer by going to
\\server1\lp-printer or \\server2\lp-printer but I would like a third
name \\printserver\lp-printer which users will connect to.  I want to be
able to point that printserver name at either server1 or server2
depending on which is down or which needs maintenance.

I have tried several things to accomplish this such as creating a
virtual interface on server1/server2 and pointed the forward and reverse
dns A/PTR records at the IP associated with that interface.  I have also
tried enabling the "netbios aliases" option.

John

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.