release tarball sizes

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Tue Oct 21 14:46:57 GMT 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:43:16AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> |

> |>Save ~8Mb per download on a a release is pretty
> |>compelling to me.
> |
> | Packaging the docs sounds ok to me (though I'd prefer to always have
> | the manpages in the source). Something that can always be left out of
> | the source package are imho:
> |  - docbook sources (7.2M)
> |  - developer documentation (PDF, docbook and HTML)
>
> The only thing that would really matter here is
> the docbook/ directory.  Loosing that buts the
> gzipped version about 1.5Mb.  Is there any
> compelling reason to leave it in?  Patches?
> Unless someone speaks up, I will remove it from
> the next 3.0.x[preX] release.
I'd like to see it packages separately along with main tarball. This way
distribution maintainers will be able to put official documentation
sources into they source packages and rebuild documentation during binary
package preparation.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Samba Team                      http://www.samba.org/