Cups questions ...

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Oct 20 13:57:01 GMT 2003

C.Lee Taylor wrote:
| Greetings ...
|
|    Slap me if I am asking the wrong list ...
|
|    First, something that might need to be in the docs ( if it is, I did
| not see it, but then
| I can't say I have read it from page 0-500, sorry ... ) If Samba starts
| before Cups start,
| the printer in Cups don't come up with Samba, ( lost our printers after
| a restart, and took
| me a few minutes and lots of panic to figure it out  ), I see this has
| been fixed in RawHide.

I'll look at their patches.  I tried last night actually but got
distracted.  The problem is that we don't expire the printer cache.
Send smbd a HUP will work as well.

|    My question is, Samba chats with the Cups deamon, is
| possible that Samba could put into the logs that it
| can't find the Cups deamon, might make less problems.

We just ask the cups libs so that should really be their
error message I think.

|    Other question, in RedHat 9, they are using Cups 1.1.17, which Samba
| 3.0.1pre1 does not use the comments, but RawHide is using Cups
| 1.1.19, which Samba 3.0.0 is able to use the comments for
| the printers ... I take it that Cups 1.1.19 gives this infomation
| out, were Cups 1.1.17 does not?

no idea on this one.  I would have to spend some time on it.  Bug me
tomorrow off list and hopefully things will have cleared up to give me
some more time.

|    One last question, to backup the "Point-n-Install"
| printers, one has to backup the drivers  directory and
| tdb with the printer info, but if I remember correctly,
| you have to shutdown smb, to that, or am I wrong on this account?

tdbbackup can do this for you.

cheers, jerry
~ Hewlett-Packard            ------------------------- http://www.hp.com
~ SAMBA Team                 ---------------------- http://www.samba.org
~ GnuPG Key                  ---- http://www.plainjoe.org/gpg_public.asc
~ "You can never go home again, Oatman, but I guess you can shop there."
~                            --John Cusack - "Grosse Point Blank" (1997)