Cups questions ...

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Mon Oct 20 10:46:57 GMT 2003

Greetings ...

    Slap me if I am asking the wrong list ...

    First, something that might need to be in the docs ( if it is, I did
not see it, but then
I can't say I have read it from page 0-500, sorry ... ) If Samba starts
before Cups start,
the printer in Cups don't come up with Samba, ( lost our printers after
a restart, and took
me a few minutes and lots of panic to figure it out  ), I see this has
been fixed in RawHide.

    My question is, Samba chats with the Cups deamon, is possible that
Samba could put
into the logs that it can't find the Cups deamon, might make less problems.

    Other question, in RedHat 9, they are using Cups 1.1.17, which Samba
3.0.1pre1
does not use the comments, but RawHide is using Cups 1.1.19, which Samba
3.0.0
is able to use the comments for the printers ... I take it that Cups
1.1.19 gives this infomation
out, were Cups 1.1.17 does not?

    One last question, to backup the "Point-n-Install" printers, one has
to backup the drivers
directory and tdb with the printer info, but if I remember correctly,
you have to shutdown smb,
to that, or am I wrong on this account?

Thanks
Mailed