Failed Interaction between Win2k and linux!

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Oct 17 21:41:15 GMT 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Rajan Aggarwal wrote:

> Facing a peculiar problem when interacting between a Win2k client and
> Linux(running samba server)...
>
> The security level has been set to "user" and a valid directory shared.
> Proper permissions have been assigned to this share and a user
> account(through which i intend to connect from win2k) has been created
> on my linux server.
>
> Still while connecting to the share the message "bad login..." is
> flashed...I read it somewhere that Win2k and WinXP require additional
> samba accounts on server for coping with complex authentication process.
> This samba account has to be usrname:"<client-machine name>" and
> password:"<client-machine name>$".
>
> When did the same, everything worked fine. But deleting this account and
> creating any valid account followed by $ doesn't help. Doesn't this
> thing defeat the basic ideology behind "user level" security wherein
> irrespective of the "machine name" a specific "user" can be given
> access.
>
> Can anybody help in this regard???

Suggest you read the following document:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

In particular I would refer you to chapters: 4, 5 and 7.

You can obtain from Amazon.Com, "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference
Guide", in which case you may benefit greatly from chapters: 2, 3, 4, 6
and 8.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra