Questions about charset modules

Benjamin Riefenstahl Benjamin.Riefenstahl at epost.de
Sat Oct 11 17:47:15 GMT 2003

Hi all,

Benjamin Riefenstahl <Benjamin.Riefenstahl at epost.de> writes:
> I have written a charset module for the Mac OS X filesystem
> encoding, using OS services to do the work.

So here's the code (attached).

It's a source module that goes into sourcs/modules and a patch to
integrate it into the build process.

The code has two implementations, depending on whether the OpenDarwin
code can be found, because access to internal headers make a more
efficient implementation possible.

Here are compilation and usage notes in a form that could go into a
README.macosx (this text assumes that the module is included in the
distribution):

COMPILATION
-----------

Kerberos integration (and thus ADS support) doesn't work yet.  Call
configure with --without-ads, unless you intend to fix this.

INSTALLATION

A charset for the Mac OS X filesystem is provided and installed as a
plug-in module.  Use these settings in your smb.conf:

  [global]
  unix charset = macosxfs
  display charset = macosxfs

The "display charset" setting is optional, but you really want the
"unix charset" for smooth operation.

Have fun, benny