release tarball sizes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Oct 11 02:22:58 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 11:58, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Tim Potter wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:18:02AM +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> >
> > > Packaging the docs sounds ok to me (though I'd prefer to always have
> > > the manpages in the source). Something that can always be left out of
> > > the source package are imho:
> > >  - docbook sources (7.2M)
> > >  - developer documentation (PDF, docbook and HTML)
> >
> > Good idea.  Manpages - maybe a copy of Using Samba as well - should
> > be in the source tarball.
>
> There is good reason toe include the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf in the
> sources - but if size is critical it can be left out. Just bear in mind
> that if we elect to leave it out that will discourage Linux distros from
> shipping it - which kind of defeats the whole purpose of creating it. :(

I think the documentation effort should be packaged separately - with
the possible exception of compiled manpages.   This applies just as much
to the RPMs as the source.

There are much more valuable things that can be done to make the
documentation visible - like fixing our 'docs' webpage.  Our prime
documentation effort, 'samba howto collection' is a one-line entry,
half-way down the page.

Plus, we need to play whatever games are required to get the HOWTO into
Google, and the like.  When I search for "samba howto"  I should find a
current, online copy of the offical howto.  That means giving URL
references in mailing list posts (to the HTML version):

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html

Likewise, the front page annoucement, (particularly) for 3.0 should have
had a link.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net