Questions about charset modules

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at vernstok.nl
Sun Oct 5 15:25:04 GMT 2003

Hi Benny,

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 04:35:27PM +0200, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote about 'Re: Questions about charset modules':
> >> - The charset functions are called with invalid data from some places,
> > They should indeed give an error and ignore those bytes. The code
> > that's calling the function just needs to be fixed....
> It's not only those bytes.  The OS functions on which I rely, do not
> do *any* conversion in this case, even with the bytes before the
> actual error.  Is that o.k., or do I need to add code to try and
> convert as many bytes as possible?  That would involve doing my own
> UTF-8 parsing, and I'd like to avoid that, of course.  It's not
> inherently difficult, but it would add a considerable amount of code.
That would be fine too (just not doing any conversion if not
possible).

> >> - How should the charset module be named?  I currently use
> >>   modules/charset_macosxfs.c for the source and macosxfs.dylib for the
> >>   binary.
> > It should be named bin/charset_macosxfs. at LIBEXT@ while linking and
> > should be installed to $SAMBALIBDIR/charset/macosxfs. at LIBEXT@.

> > (Also see the Makefile rule for the 'weird' charset module and the
> > configure.in macros for the 'weird' charset module)

> I already use a copy of the Makefile and configure rules as the other
> modules do it, and have this well integrated.  It's mostly about the
> actual C file name.  Calling a charset module just
> "modules/macosxfs.c" seems rather misleading to me (as does
> "modules/weird.c", of course).  This module doesn't implement a
> filesystem, it doesn't even implement filesystem bindings.  So I'd
> prefer "modules/charset_macosxfs.c".  But I didn't want to step on
> anybodys toes with introducing a new naming convention.
The C name modules/charset_macosxfs.c sounds fine. weird.c is called
that way because of historical reasons. It should actually be named
charset_weird.c

Jelmer
--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at nl.linux.org> - http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/