smbfs : does it do kerberos authentication?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Oct 4 23:27:26 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 04:42, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Joey Collins wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > In searching the web and reading the man pages to smbmount, I'm
> > wondering if smbfs is capable of authenticating using KRB5.  I know
> > smbclient can do this, can smbfs?  if so, how is this configured?  can
> > you force it to use krb5?
>
> Since smbfs runs in the kernel, the problem here would seem to be getting
> the user's ticket to authenticate to the server with ...

Well, the connection part is in userspace - so that's easy.  Indeed, it
actually works - but only against a Samba server.

The problem is that smbfs does not use NTSTATUS codes, and Win2k (in
it's infinite wisdom) has declared that DOS-error based clients simply
are incapable of performing extended security, and therefore
kerberos....

Naturally, Samba could not care less :-)

Anyway the solution is to use the CIFS VFS - but then we have the 'fetch
the ticket' fun&games, as it's mount process is in-kernel.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net