smbfs : does it do kerberos authentication?

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Sat Oct 4 18:42:56 GMT 2003

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Joey Collins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In searching the web and reading the man pages to smbmount, I'm
> wondering if smbfs is capable of authenticating using KRB5.  I know
> smbclient can do this, can smbfs?  if so, how is this configured?  can
> you force it to use krb5?

Since smbfs runs in the kernel, the problem here would seem to be getting
the user's ticket to authenticate to the server with ...

We have made changes to winbindd to allow us to retrieve tickets for
various principals from within the kernel, so, in principle, it is
doable. However, I don't believe that smbfs does it yet. I could be wrong,
however.

Regards
-----