Various little questions

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Oct 1 05:00:10 GMT 2003

Well folks, I've managed to find myself back in the role of
annoying-little-question-asker.  :)

My annoying little questions:

1) Kernel oplocks

   The smb.conf manpage (for V3.0) does not come right out and say it, but
   it suggests that the kernel oplock break is an all-or-nothing deal.
   In other words, there is no mechanism that allows the kernel to report
   that a process has opened an oplocked file in read-only mode, so the
   SMB client cannot be downgraded to a level2 oplock.

   Do I understand that correctly?

   Here's an example of what I mean.  Suppose client CARTER opens a file
   and requests an OpLock.  Samba on server SIMO grants the OpLock.  About
   three minutes later process POTTER running on server SIMO opens the
   same file for read-only access.

   Optimally, server SIMO would send an OpLock break to client CARTER
   downgrading the OpLock to a level2 OpLock, but that can only happen if
   the kernel can report that new open was read-only.

   Can Linux (or IRIX) kernel oplocks do that?

2) The delete readonly parameter

   I did a simple test of the "delete readonly" parameter.  I found that
   W2K allowed me to delete a readonly file on a Samba share no matter
   what the setting of "delete readonly".

   Can someone else confirm this?  What am I seeing and what is the
   expected behavior?

   Reading the docs, I assumed that the default (delete readonly = no)
   would prevent me from deleting a readonly file.  How does W2K get
   around this?  Does it cause Samba to chmod the file?

3) The mangled stack parameter

   Name mangling has not used a stack structure for a very long time.
   I think that the mangled stack parameter is completely depricated.
   Does anyone know any reason that "mangled stack" should not be purged
   from the documentation (and from the parameter set)?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org