NT status/error codes instead of DOS error codes - bug 3.0.0

John Kleven jkleven99 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 21:20:35 GMT 2003

Samba 3.0.0 bug possible - wanted to get any input
from developers:

When i attach to smbd version 3.0.0 i specify in all
my client packets (via flags2 arg) that i do NOT
understand NT style error codes.

Also, in my capabilities 32 bit int sent in session
setup packet -- I say that i do not speak NT style
error codes.

But Samba 3.0.0 continues to send me NT codes for the
packets that i send.

Here's the catch -- if the request to the smbd server
is succesful (i.e. a session setup login packet to
server) it sends me the NT success code (i.e. flags2
says that error codes are NT style).  BUT... when a
request fails, it DOES send me the DOS error code like
it should.

I think it is a bug however that smbd 3.0.0 flags2 arg
to specify "NT error codes" in succesful client
requests.  If the client capabilities indicated that
it does not understand NT error codes, it should never
send another flags2 arg with NT status codes enabled.

Right??  This is now in the bug database as bug #834.

Thanks
John