[Samba] Re: How to migrate a complex NT4 network

Raphaël Berghmans rberghmans at arafox.com
Thu Nov 27 19:59:53 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 20:49, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Raphaël Berghmans wrote:

> > > Your configuration is typical of many. The samba-3 migration facility (net
> > > rpc vampire) should work fine. You should be able to run it against the
> > > local BDC - though I have not tested that.
> >
> > Indeed the SAM migration is very simple with vampire. But Samba cannot
> > made realtime synchronization with a NT4 PDC and how to manage the
> > modifications. Made a vampire each time a modification has been done on
> > the PDC is a little bit tricky (with 1600 users, 500 groups and 1700
> > machines).
>
> We have documented the fact that Samba-3 can not be a BDC to an NT4 PDC.
> Sorry. If yu want to use Samba as a BDC then your PDC must be Samba also.

I know it's well documented but if I migrate my NT4 PDC to a samba PDC,
I still have some NT4 BDC's and then there is always a synchronization
problem :)

Then the only ways to do that are :

First way : Manage a new samba domain and migrate manualy each
workstation

Second way : Migrate the NT4 PDC to Samba and stop all NT4 BDC's (all
the authentications and profiles managment will be done on the PDC). And
migrate the BDC one by one. (Physicaly It's not possible on the same
time to migrate the PDC and all the BDC's)

See you,

--
Raphaël Berghmans
Arafox scrl