Copied file vanishes when client is OS X

Ed Holden eholden at mclean.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 27 15:05:14 GMT 2003

> locking, and it looks like the finder uses threads to copy the file
> and keep the UI up-to-date at the same time.  For small files the copy
> is over before the UI needs to refresh its view.  But for files of a
> certain size, the UI updates and the cleanup after the actual copy may
> run into locking issues.

Yes, I've always noticed that the UI stays up-to-date in OS X, as under
Windows.  Perhaps that is part of the problem.  It would at least explain
why the GUI loses the file when the CLI utility does not.

Another possibility - the PDF of my Linux guide may be cursed.  I'll
suspend judgement until Apple responds ...

Thanks again,
Ed

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>

> Ed Holden <eholden at mclean.harvard.edu> writes:
> > I'm eager to see what Apple has to say about it.
>
> Yes, I curious, too.
>
> > The FAT issue is baffling.  I'm using ext3 on my target partition,
> > and the differences between it and FAT should be transparent from
> > the client side.
>
> No, I meant a FAT image on the local Mac, not over Samba.  I was
> trying to find out if the type of representation of the Mac OS
> metadata (of which there are several in Mac OS X) had an influence.
>
> I currently believe that it's a concurrency issue.  Samba (and/or the
> smbfs implementation in Mac OS X) does that Windows style automatic
> locking, and it looks like the finder uses threads to copy the file
> and keep the UI up-to-date at the same time.  For small files the copy
> is over before the UI needs to refresh its view.  But for files of a
> certain size, the UI updates and the cleanup after the actual copy may
> run into locking issues.
>
> The copy thread wants to delete the Mac OS metadata file (which only
> contains defaults at this time, so it's redundant), finds that it is
> locked by the UI thread and runs its error handler, doing a complete
> rollback.  This fits with the logs and with my observation that it
> doesn't happen if there are other files with metadata, which would
> change the timing.
>

> benny

Any information, including protected health information (PHI), transmitted
in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and or
exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal or State law. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon, protected health information (PHI) by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.