Increasing browse list of samba 3.0 WINS

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Nov 24 20:17:24 GMT 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 08:05:24PM +0000, Mike Pavlovich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> No response from the general samba list so I'll try here.
>
> I would like to increase the number of servers/members of a
> workgroup/domain of samba.  Currently it holds about 2200 entries only.  I
> have more than 3000 servers in a domain.  There is no configuration setting
> I could change so would it be possible to get information on which files to
> change to achieve this?  I attempted to make a change in nameserver.h but
> it bombs.

The limitation is in the protocol itself, I'm afraid.  There's nothing we
can do to fix it, as the Windows clients won't be able to handle larger
lists.

My only suggestion is that you create more workgroups with fewer members
each, thus reducing the size of each workgroup's browse list to a
managable number.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org