'Upgrading to 3.0.0.

Scotter me at stephen-scotter.net
Mon Nov 24 18:47:17 GMT 2003

All,
    After upgrading to Samba 3.0.0 I have been able to get the smbd daemon
to run. It just fails with no error (either to the shell or a log file.). So
next I tired running the daemon interactively and with a debug level 2 to
try and get some more information.

Heres what I'm getting :-

[root at Mother sscotter]# smbd -i --debuglevel=2
smbd version 3.0.0 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2003
uid=0 gid=0 euid=0 egid=0
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[pdf-generator]"
added interface ip=192.168.1.2 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE
Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED
waiting for a connection
----------------------- after a client tries to connect.
setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all
old resources.
setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all
old resources.
'/root/tmp' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [IPC$]
setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all
old resources.
setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all
old resources.
check_ntlm_password:  authentication for user [sscotter] -> [sscotter] ->
[sscotter] succeeded
beermachine (192.168.1.10) couldn't find service .
'/root/tmp' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [IPC$]
'/root/tmp' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [IPC$]
'/root/tmp' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [IPC$]
'/root/tmp' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [IPC$]
'/root/tmp' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [IPC$]
'/root/tmp' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [IPC$]
'/root/tmp' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [IPC$]
'/root/tmp' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [IPC$]

Needless to say I've done a google / deja search and haven't found anything
that could help me.

Can anyone help me with this error "'/root/tmp' does not exist or is not a
directory, when connecting to [IPC$]" ?
A directory /root/tmp does exists, but what is it trying to do? Also, I
really don't think I should be running this service as root! But if I try
running the daemon as another other user, it fails because its unable to
capture the lock file.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

cheers

Scotter

P.S. I'm sorry if any one has seen this post twice. I posted it to the
newsgroup mailing.unix.samba-technical but it never appeared on the server.
I'm not familiar with this mailing list business!!