logon path and %u

Jonas Olsson lexicon at lysator.liu.se
Fri Nov 21 12:05:52 GMT 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Raphael Berghmans wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | Yesterday I've configured a profile share and setup the "logon path"
> | like this : \\%M\profiles\%u
> |
> | But when the user profile directory is not correctly created, indeed the
> | directory created is "%u" and not the value of "%u". When I replace %u
> | by %U, It's working.
> |
> | Why ?
>
> because we avoid getpwnam calls in the net_samlogon()
> call so all we have is the string of the username and
> not the uid which is needed for thr %u.

Why do you avoid getpwnam in that context?

If this behaviour is permanent the Samba HOWTO should be changed to
reflect this. It says the following in chapter 24, Desktop Profile
Management:

-------- snip ---------
NT4/200x User Profiles

For example, to support Windows NT4/200x clients, set the followoing in
the [global] section of the smb.conf file:

logon path = \\profileserver\profileshare\profilepath\%U\moreprofilepath

This is typically implemented like:
logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%u

where "%L" translates to the name of the Samba server and "%u" translates
to the user name.

  /Jonas Olsson