[Samba] Samba opens many files.

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Wed Nov 19 14:40:14 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 04:26:19PM +0100, Markus Wenke wrote:
>>> I have a dir with more than 16000 files in it.
>>> If I klick with MS-Explorer on this Dir to see which files are in it,
>>> smbd opens every file and so it takes some seconds to show this Dir!
>>> (and CPU usage is at 100%).

This, alas, is being done by explorer: Samba just tries to honor
the requests.

NT has a slightly smaller sloth problem with whole-directory
open storms, but its ISAM-based directories make other directory
operations faster, so it "looks faster" in many cases.

Reiser FS may be quicker than ufs/ext2...

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,       | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems,          | some people and astonish the rest.
(905) 415-2849 or x52849   | davecb at canada.sun.com