Japanese Share Names Wrong Format

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Fri Nov 14 09:12:07 GMT 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:07:30PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > For files with Japanese names, the Samba API properly passes the names
> > in Unicode.
> >
> > We do not have ICONV (or GICONV) support compiled in.  Is this a known
> > problem?  Short of changing the Samba code, I don't know what else to
> > do.  Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> This is actually bug 767 in a different guise.  You should use iconv()
> where possible, but going via a DOS charset (as all RAP calls do) is
> always suboptimal.
Not only iconv() should be used but also CP932 conversion table in your
iconv() implementation should be correct one. In glibc (and giconv) it was
incorrect for a long time. In July MORIYAMA Masayuki published a correct
version of it for glibc.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Samba Team                      http://www.samba.org/