Japanese Share Names Wrong Format

Jonny Larson jlarson at cips.nokia.com
Fri Nov 14 00:20:02 GMT 2003

Hello:
We're using the Samba client 3.0.0 API to get file server access.  We
have some Japanese Win2k servers that we test with.  This server has
some share names that are in Japanese.  When I call cli_RNetShareEnum
against this server, the names passed to my enum function are in the
Shift_JIS character set.  This is even though the CAP_UNICODE
capabilities flag is set after cli_negprot is called.  This causes the
pull_ascii funtion to mash the names when it converts from CH_DOS to
CH_UNIX inside of convert_string.

For files with Japanese names, the Samba API properly passes the names
in Unicode.

We do not have ICONV (or GICONV) support compiled in.  Is this a known
problem?  Short of changing the Samba code, I don't know what else to
do.  Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd appreciate any and all information anyone could provide.
Jonny L.