samba-2, samba-3 client and WXP share name length limitation

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Nov 13 21:51:21 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 08:32, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> David Wuertele wrote:
> | Andrew> Enumeration of shares over RPC.
> |
> | Andrew> There was a patch for smbclient at one point, but for some
> | Andrew> reason it never got in.
> |
> | Do you have any references to this patch?  I STFW but did not find it.
> |
> | Andrew> This should be in bugzilla, but if it's not, add it.
> |
> | I looked around the zilla, and didn't find it, so I added it.
>
> I closed this since I would rather just keep smbdclient as
> smbclient and not the 'son of rpcclient'.  If net can't
> enumerate shares using rpc, it should.  We'll fix it there.

Sorry - I object.

The problem is that we have a user interface expectation that this
works.  We would have to remove all the share enumeration from
'smbclient' if we do this.  As a very strong rule we don't change
command line behaviour etc of our utilities, so why for an issue only of
linker size do we need to do this?

Why should our users have to care if the call was made over RAP or RPC?

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net