What's next for Samba ?

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Thu Nov 13 13:57:16 GMT 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:42:21AM -0500, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> >Ahh....this brings up a good point I forgot to mention.
> >No features will be accepted for the roadmap without an
> >owner(s).   Sound fair?  This isn't a wish list (no
> >offense), but rather a list that we think we can accomplish.
> >And the roadmap doesn't limit what people can do.  It just
> >helps us to know when the new tree is feature complete.
>
> 	I'd like to integrate the framework for
> 	checking options for self-consistancy, then
> 	maintain it via patch submission to
> 	the core team.
This would be good. We already have some infrastructure in place in
samba-docs CVS (docbook/smbdotconf) as current source format of
smb.conf(5) allows to store whatever metainformation is needed, including
option dependencies and possible values. So in theory it is possible to
extend that to automatically generate option consistensy checking code out
of documentation -- and we already have scripts to check what options are
present documented/undocumented/documented-but-unexistent.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Samba Team                      http://www.samba.org/